Phillips 66 Basic Operator Trainee, Santa Maria Refinery in Arroyo Grande, California
Phillips 66 & YOU- Together we can fuel the future
The Basic Operator Trainee will work independently and with other personnel to maintain and operate equipment and processes in Refining business units. Some of the processes involved use hazardous and volatile materials under high temperature and pressure. Typical working conditions include: outside weather and elements, blowing air, heat, noise, vibration and occasionally working from heights and confined spaces. Operators must follow safe work practices including the wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). In addition, Operators perform various duties required to keep their assigned processing unit/area operating safely and at specified production/run rates.
Responsibilities may include :
- Demonstrating awareness and commitment to safety
- Maintaining equipment and operations
- Taking samples/readings of various process streams
- Operating unit consoles
- Monitoring and observing assigned area for abnormal conditions and emergency situations
- Working with outside contractors and agencies
- Participating in safety reviews
- Initiating work orders and permitting for work related to the assigned unit.
- Maintaining proper and safe process operations of the operating equipment
- Serving on the emergency response fire brigade, rescue team, and/or first responder team
- Participating in annual training refreshers
- Upholding company values, understanding and implementing all relevant company policies and procedures to ensure all work meets the required standard
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be willing and able, with or without reasonable accommodation, to perform/comply with the following:
Work rotating shift schedule, including but not limited to days, nights, weekend, holidays, rotating shift
Read technical procedures and materials in English
Learn computer software associated with process operations
Work in enclosed spaces such as tanks and silos
Work near large, hot, high speed machines
Work near products that are under high pressure and heat
Work around chemicals, including acids and bases
Wear fire retardant clothing and PPE (such as steel-toe shoes, ear and eye protection)
Maintain your face daily so that a respirator/face mask can seal properly (some examples include being free of facial hair and/or clean shaven)
Climb up to 200 feet in height
Lift up to 50 pounds
Perform firefighting duties
Work outside in harsh weather conditions
- 1+ years of direct experience working as a process operator in a refinery, chemical, power, nuclear, wastewater treatment, or other manufacturing industry
- Associates Degree or higher in Process Technology from an accredited school or significant related experience Military certifications that are process operations related
- Record of formal emergency response training within the last 24 months
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Adaptable with ability to influence change
At Phillips 66, while "what" we do may be very different from person to person, there's a "how" that connects all of us. It is how we work, how we collaborate and how we succeed together. It's this shared "how" that our competency framework describes in detail. We call it the Keys to Success because it can unlock the potential within us all.
Keys to Success
- Contr: Adaptability—Adapt And Learn From Experience
- Contr: Building Collaborative Relationships—Foster Relationships
- Contr: Judgment—Demonstrate Sound Judgment
- Contr: Results Orientation—Optimize Work Performance
The San Francisco Refinery is comprised of two facilities linked by a 200-mile pipeline. The Rodeo facility is located in the San Francisco Bay area, while the Santa Maria facility is located in Arroyo Grande, CA. The refinery's crude oil processing capacity is 120 MBD. The refinery processes mainly heavy, high-sulfur crude oil.
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company's master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,500 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $52 billion of assets as of March 31, 2018. For more information, visit www.phillips66.com at http://www.phillips66.com/ or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co .
To be considered
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of August 28, 2018 .
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 46690
Department: Santa Maria Refinery
Location: United States - California - Arroyo Grande
Job Field: Operations