Phillips 66 Communications and Public Affairs Specialist in Los Angeles, California
Phillips 66 & YOU- Together we can fuel the future
The Communications and Public Affairs Specialist is an effective communicator to all levels of the organization and community. This position coordinates internal special events, volunteer activities, promotes and manages community events and keeps the Public Affairs Manager informed of local community issues and projects. The Specialist will also implement and manage communications strategies including community outreach initiatives using various mediums including videos, photos, newsletters, webpages, internal communications, and advertisements for sponsored event programs, to promote Phillips 66, Los Angeles Refinery and its employees. This position will report to the Manager of Public Affairs.
Responsibilities may include :
- Represents Phillips 66 in a positive and appropriate manner to members of the community, news media, government officials, vendors and employees.
- Clearly, effectively, and professionally communications and engages with small and large groups.
- Builds coalitions among community leaders and organizations using interpersonal and customer relations skills.
- Keeps public affairs manager informed of local community issues and projects.
- Company delegate attending community and government meetings/events with diverse audiences including local officials, community organizations and agencies some of which are held in the evenings and on weekends.
- Interacts with community members including handling community concerns and other fenceline community relations activities.
- Maintain information for incoming public relations inquiries and concerns
- Coordinates, promotes, and manages community and employee volunteer events including set-up and break down, tracking all internal and external volunteer hours and expenses.
- Implements charitable contribution programs including the United Way campaign, coordinating including check presentations and sponsorship events.
- Emergency Response System Public Information Officer back-up to the Public Affairs manager.
- Responsible for internal communications as directed.
- Serve as a webmaster for department webpage.
- Effectively works well with others at all levels of the organization.
- Provides additional support to the Human Resources Department and other Departments as needed.
- Maintains department files and records.
- Arrange and coordinates facility tours.
- Manage and stock promotional items, including selection, ordering and distribution.
- Job may require escorted visits to refinery operating units and other worksites and the wearing of personal protective equipment including, but not limited to: fire-retardant clothing, steel-toed shoes, hearing and eye protection and ability and willingness to climb ladders and stairs as needed.
- Work extended hours, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Political Science, Government, or related field.
- 7 or more years of experience in communications and/or public relations, stakeholder/constituent engagement, philanthropy and/or non-profit management.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Verbal communications skills in English and Spanish.
- Experience in working and communicating within a high-pressure environment.
- Experience in or knowledge of the Oil & Gas industry and plant operations.
- Experience in addressing regulatory issues and stakeholder concerns within a diverse community.
- Working knowledge of non-profit and governmental guidelines and reporting requirements and legislative process.
- Experience in website/digital communication management and professional social media management.
- Ability to develop budgets and plans, schedules and itineraries.
- Knowledge of SAP and SharePoint.
At Phillips 66, while "what" we do may be very different from person to person, there's a "how" that connects all of us. It is how we work, how we collaborate and how we succeed together. It's this shared "how" that our competency framework describes in detail. We call it the Keys to Success because it can unlock the potential within us all.
Keys to Success
- Prof: Adaptability—Demonstrate Adaptability And Learning
- Prof: Building Collaborative Relationships—Build Partnerships
- Prof: Communication—Communicate Professionally
- Prof: Judgment—Exercise Professional Judgment
- Prof: Results Orientation—Optimize Results
The Los Angeles Refinery operates in two locations: the headquarters and largest plant is located in Wilmington, CA and the second plant is located in Carson, CA. It has a crude oil processing capacity of 131,000 barrels/day and receives domestic crude oil and produces unleaded gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. The refinery operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, paying more than $30 million for utilities.
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company's master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,500 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $52 billion of assets as of March 31, 2018. For more information, visit www.phillips66.com at http://www.phillips66.com/ or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co .
To be Considered for this Position:
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of January 18, 2019 .
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
This Employer is subject to the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO) (LAMC 189.00). This Employer will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Ordinance.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 47431
Department: Los Angeles Refinery
Location: United States - California - Los Angeles
Job Field: Communications and Public Affairs