Phillips 66 Maintenance Mechanic - Welder - Rodeo Refinery in Rodeo, California
Phillips 66 & YOU- Together we can fuel the future
The Maintenance Mechanic - Welder - Rodeo Refinery , under the general direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, performs all work for which qualified in a safe and efficient manner, including but not limited to preparing, planning, and setting up materials and clearances to execute work. Inspects, maintains, and tests equipment. Fabricates and assembles parts and equipment including piping, tubing, valves, etc. and maintains comprehensive recordkeeping, as necessary. Assures all maintenance and project work complies with all applicable safety, government licensing, engineering standards, laws, regulations and complies with company policies, procedures and practices. May be required to work shift work, including days, nights, weekends and holidays. Must be willing to work overtime and respond to callouts during off hours due to business necessity.
Responsibilities may include :
- Participating and/or planning the safety process i.e. JSA's/TSA’s and performing safety observations to assure all plans follow applicable government regulations and established company policies, procedures and practices
- Working with Operations and other groups to fully understand the scope, priority and timing needed for maintenance repairs. Ensures all work is completed in a safe, environmentally-compliant, and cost-effective manner
- Reading work orders, bills of material, and job and safety instructions to determine nature and location of work. Plans steps and procedures to accomplish assigned fabrication, maintenance, or repair work, including identifying materials, support equipment, and applicable welding procedures and standards needed for the job
- Reading documentation, specifications, blueprints, and drawings (in English) to become familiar with job specifications, dimensions, tolerances, etc.
- Visually inspects equipment/structures to determine scope of work and requirements for safety and protective equipment
- Consulting with others (metallurgical inspectors, engineers, and process supervisors) regarding maintenance and repair issues/concerns and required NDE quality control
- Must consistently meet company target for weld quality including percentage of rejected welds identified by various NDE methods (x-ray, PT, UT, WFMP, etc.)
- Measuring old parts or assemblies to determine dimensional requirements of replacement parts or assemblies
- Coordinating with operating personnel regarding permits and clearances to initiate maintenance or repair activities
- Deactivating and/or locks out switch gear and equipment by properly tagging and securing equipment
- Preparing for welding activities, including checking bevels, alignment, material cleanliness, and availability of fire protection equipment
- Assembles and welds structural metal, pipe components, and sheet metal components into subassemblies or completed structures. Lays out, punches, bends, and fabricates/erects structural iron/steel
- Cutting structural metals and pipes using gas or plasma burning equipment.
- Purging pipes with inert gas
- Moving materials, equipment, and parts into position using hoists, forklifts, etc.
- Operating computer-assisted equipment to lay out and cut parts, punch holes, etc.
- Smoothing and finishing cuts, edges, welds, etc., using power or hand tools
- Performing welding repairs on lifting equipment, trucks, back hoes, end loaders, etc.
- Coordinating work of others, as needed
- Communicating effectively with all employee levels
- Sharing knowledge, skills and expertise with associates to facilitate a high performing organization
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Maintain a valid driver's license
- Must possess a valid Transportation Workers' Identification Credential (TWIC) or qualify for a TWIC card by start date
- Must be willing and able, with or without accommodation, to perform/comply with the following:
Work overtime (including weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts)
Be on call and respond to after hour callouts due to business necessity
Lift up to 50 pounds
Work in enclosed spaces such as tanks and silos
Work safely near large, hot, high-speed machines
Climb up to 200 feet in height; work at elevated heights
Work around chemicals, including acids and bases
Wear fire retardant clothing and personal protective equipment (such as steel-toed shoes, ear/eye protection)
Maintain face daily so that a respirator/face mask can seal properly
Work outside in inclement weather conditions
Read/ interpret blueprint, drawing and technical specifications in English
X-ray quality welds on piping and structural steel - materials consist of various alloys such as carbon steel, stainless steel and chrome
Proficient in established CWS and NDE requirements and practices
- 3 or more years of direct welding experience in structural steel, X-ray pipe welding
- 3 or more years’ experience in SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW processes and oxy-acetylene cutting
- 3 or more years using plasma cutter, arc gouger, and oxy-acetylene cutting torch
- Welding certification or completion of an accredited apprentice program at a college/technical/trade school
- 5 or more years petrochemical experience
- Class A driver's license
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- SAP/CMMS experience
- Proactive and results-oriented
- Able to effectively interact with all organizational levels and value diversity
- Demonstrated communications and teamwork skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- 1 or more years of experience in refinery maintenance, turnaround, and/or shutdown work
- 3 or more years of experience in applicable government and plant standards/regulations (OSHA, ANSI, health and safety)
- A Level 4 NCCER certification
At Phillips 66, while "what" we do may be very different from person to person, there's a "how" that connects all of us. It is how we work, how we collaborate and how we succeed together. It's this shared "how" that our competency framework describes in detail. We call it the Keys to Success because it can unlock the potential within us all.
Keys to Success
- Contr: Adaptability—Adapt And Learn From Experience
- Contr: Building Collaborative Relationships—Foster Relationships
- Contr: Judgment—Demonstrate Sound Judgment
- Contr: Results Orientation—Optimize Work Performance
The San Francisco Refinery is comprised of two facilities linked by a 200-mile pipeline. The Rodeo facility is located in the San Francisco Bay area, while the Santa Maria facility is located in Arroyo Grande, CA. The refinery's crude oil processing capacity is 120 MBD. The refinery processes mainly heavy, high-sulfur crude oil.
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company's master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,500 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $52 billion of assets as of March 31, 2018. For more information, visit www.phillips66.com at http://www.phillips66.com/ or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co .
To be considered
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of January 23, 2019.
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 48527
Department: Rodeo Refinery
Location: United States - California - Rodeo
Job Field: Maintenance